POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Solar System : Re: POV Solar System Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Solar System
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Mar 2006 23:11:04
Message: <441793d8$1@news.povray.org>
"pavium" <jrc### [at] tpgcomau> wrote in message
> "Nekar Xenos" <go_### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> Tips on how to determine the postition of any given planet at any given
>> date
>> would also be very helpful.
>
> My recent post to povray.general provides a method of calculating the
> position of the Sun, Earth and Moon so that Solar (and Lunar) eclipses can
> be modelled.
>
> The method could be extended to include all the planets.
>
> The idea of my scene file 'eclipse.pov' (downloadable from
> http://www.pavium.info/Eclipse/) is to calculate the positions of the Sun,
> Earth and Moon at a particular date and time, and then render a picture
> showing the shadow of the Moon on the Earth, or vice versa.

I remember now that there was a planetarium for POV some years ago, so I
went looking for it. The resources link at povray.org shows it there but its
link is broken. I couldn't locate it in a search of the internet or my
computer, although I think I must have it someplace. Might have been
perfect. If I do find it I'll post back here.

Bob